Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Horizontal Lifelines

Choosing the correct equipment for the job is very important.  It is amazing the creativity you see on the jobsites.  Last week I saw a guy working on a 6ft scaffold on wheels on the 4th floor of a new construction building.  They were framing up the exterior walls.  When I got closer to the worker, I noticed that he was wearing his harness loose and it had a 6ft shock absorbing lanyard on is back.  That is ok, but the lanyard went from his back to the hook of a 30 foot retractable which was tied to a lifting strap they used for lifting the equipment with the crane.  There were so many violations that I didn't know where to start.  I was there to get them OSHA compliant.  I started by making everyone stop what they were doing and take off the equipment they were using.  Now we were ready to start over.

I started with the A,B,C 's of fall protection.  Anchor, Body Harness, and Connecting Device.  Once we got through the basics, I showed them how they should be using a Horizontal Lifeline for what they were doing.  I rigged up a 100' lifeline which has 2 tie-off "D" rings on it.  I placed it up high on the concrete columns so that it would be at the level of the workers.  Once we got the HHL installed, it was time to show them how to put the harness on properly.  For the Connecting device, I set them up with the Guardian 11' web retractable.

Now that we have everything in place, the workers can now be up on the scaffold and move freely and still be safe if they happen to have a fall.  This only took 1.5 hours to train and set up so that everyone could be safe while getting their work done.

3 comments:

  1. Great blog, very usefull information when talking about safety products (horizontal lifelines in my case). I got all the product info i needed, along with some great tips that saved me from a big fine in the future.

    Thanks Mike, keep up the great work.

    CD-

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good information here!!! I have been working in the construction business for years and it is nice to know not only are there people out there who will come to our jobsites for educational purposes but to possibly save a life!!! Thanks for all the great info! Keep up the good work!!

    DL

    ReplyDelete